who says, “Don’t cry.
You’ll like it after a while.”
and Two who tells you thank-you
after the fact and cant look at your face.
To Three who pays for your breakfast
and a cab home
and your mother’s rent.
“But you felt so good
I didn’t know how to stop.”
To Five who says giving your body
but something you do very well.
Who smells of tobacco
and says “Come on, I can feel that
you love this.”
To those who feel bad in the morning
some feel bad in the morning
and sometimes they tell you
you want it
and sometimes you think that you do.
Thank heavens you’re resetting
How else do you sew up the tears?
How else can the body survive?"
title poem from Yrsa Daley-Ward, ‘bone.’
now available at amazon.com(via yrsadaleyward)
found my business card. Not the one with my real name,
or even my almost-real name, but full fake name, partial
nudity. He is now holding this card, the card I use to
advertise sexual services, in his hand, and I can tell he
wants to talk to me about it. A slow burn in my throat
starts to close it. My ears are burning, too. Here he is now,
beginning to ask a question, “Do you…”"
- LD Sorrow
Read the rest of this story and more sex worker memoirs in Prose & Lore: Issue 1(via redupnyc)
Slurs are not oppressive because they are offensive, they are oppressive because slurs by nature of being slurs draw upon certain power dynamics to remind their target of his/her/their vulnerability in a certain relation to power and as an extension of that, to threaten violence and exploitation of that vulnerability.
- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
By Nir Arieli.
University of California Campuses